Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Beans and Rice Saga: Italian

We've decided, in an attempt to spend less money while still remaining nutritionally sound, to start experimenting with beans and rice recipes. The savings are real, people: I got 2 lb. white beans, 1 lb. small red beans, 1 lb. black beans, 1 lb. brown rice, and 3 lb. white medium rice for about $13. The add-ins don't have to be fancy or expensive either (but even when they are, you'll be using less of them than usual, because they'll be mixed in with the filling beans and rice).

Our first attempt was as follows:

The beans: white northern beans
The rice: white medium grain enriched rice
The add-ins: mushrooms, peas, green onions, Parmesan
The seasonings: Italian pasta sprinkle (Penzey's)
The process: We overnight-soaked the beans and cooked them in the crockpot the next day. I made the rice when I got home, while I sauteed mushrooms in a little butter, then added green onions and frozen peas at the end. I mixed some beans and the veggie mixture into the rice, then added Parmesan and pasta sprinkle to taste.
The verdict: Not terrible. We both give it about a 3/10. It was a little dry, a little bland (more Parmesan and some garlic powder helped that a little), and I wasn't feeling particularly well so that may have swayed my opinion a little.


No comments:

Post a Comment