Pages

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Kale and Onion Saute


That's the chicken lazone from the last post, with garlic mashed potatoes, and the star of this post, kale and onion saute. The original recipe came from here, and you may notice some very clear visual differences between theirs and mine. I definitely want to make this again in the future and do a better job overall.

Kale and Onion Saute

Ingredients
head of kale, washed and dried
onion
vegetable oil
salt

Equipment
saute pan with a lid, stove

Instructions
Slice onions thinly and slice kale into thin strips. Heat a few tablespoons of oil in the pan and add onions, cooking until they start to caramelize. Add the kale and a few tablespoons of water and cover. Let it steam for 5-10 minutes until the kale is all wilty. Stir everything up to incorporate. Salt to taste.

Yields
The head of kale I used could easily serve 4

Total time
about 20 minutes

Cleanup rating 2/10
One oily pan and all the water you dripped all over the entire kitchen while trying to deal with your unwieldy kale is all you have to deal with here.

Flavor rating abstained
I refuse to rate this recipe until I try it again, because I flubbed. I was making chicken lazone at the same time, and I wanted them to be finished at the same time, so I didn't wait for the onions to caramelize. I also used pretty big pieces of onion. I think dicing it would work best (for both cooking and eating).

Difficulty rating 3/10
It sounds stupid to rate this so easy when I managed to screw it up, but my issue was with timing this alongside another recipe, not this recipe itself. This is actually quite an easy recipe; I just need a do-over.

Adjustability: medium
The original recipe suggested sprinkling the finished product with apple cider vinegar and red pepper flakes, but I decided against both. It still wasn't bad. I quite like cooked kale, and I love onions, so even though I did it wrong, it turned out okay. Which goes to show you that you can season this basically however you want. Add other veggies to either stage: peppers with the onions, or spinach with the kale.

Make it with...
Anything you'd pair a green-and-leafy with, really. Birk thinks kale tastes a lot like broccoli (I don't disagree, but I don't think I would have made the connection without him pointing it out) so if you'd have broccoli with something, this would probably do well in its place.

Cost
Oh, fresh produce. I love you so much. You're so inexpensive (if you aren't organic, and I don't typically buy organic) and so delicious. You're the best.
Anyway, kale is $1.29/lb at my Farm Fresh. I don't recall how much I bought, but it felt like about half a pound if memory serves, so I'm going with $0.65 for how much kale I used. Onions belong in my kitchenventory, but they were on sale for $0.74 so I barely spent a dollar on this recipe (considering that vegetable oil and salt belong in my kitchenventory).

No comments:

Post a Comment