Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Honey-Beer Bread

This is a total deviation from the kind of thing I usually make, so it was very exciting! I don't do a lot of baking, but I plan to expand my horizons in that field, starting here, with honey-beer bread.



Honey-Beer Bread

Ingredients
3 cups flour
2 T white sugar
1 T baking powder
1 t salt
2 T honey
1 (12-oz) bottle of beer (I used a Carolina blonde)
4 T (half a stick) butter, melted (divided in half)

Equipment
loaf pan (pictured above)
oven
whisk
mixing bowl

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350F. Put your dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt) in a mixing bowl and give them a quick whisk. Add the beer and honey (it's a lot easier if you microwave the honey really quickly... I went with 10 seconds inside the plastic bear and everything was fine) and stir until mixed thoroughly. Pour half of your melted butter into your loaf pan (turn the pan until the bottom is coated). Pour in your batter (this action is more like "move the batter into the pan" because it's not very liquidy; it's kinda sticky) and then pour the rest of your butter on top. Bake for about an hour (until you can stick a knife in the middle and it comes out clean).

Yields
A loaf.

Total time
A little over an hour.
The prep work takes no time at all and it bakes for an hour.

Cleanup rating 3/5
I haven't had to clean the loaf pan yet, but I had some sticking issues (perhaps I should have greased the pan better?) so I anticipate a little scrubbing. The batter is sticky, though, so the mixing bowl and my wooden spoon were easy to clean (it's sticky in that way where you can just pull off all the pieces, not sticky in the way where you can't get it off of anything).

Difficulty rating 2/10
If you can measure accurately, mix with a spoon, and listen for a timer, you can make this.

Flavor rating 6/10
I really like this... but it has room for improvement. It's kind of hard to cut (it's a little crumbly, as seen in the photos below) and a little tough on the bottom/sides (which may have to do with the aforementioned pan-greasing problem). But the actual flavor is spot-on, and goes really well with my next post, cinnamon honey butter.

More photos:


Dry ingredients = big pile of white powder, which is basically what is
outside on this snow day!

Batter in the pan, waiting for the melted butter (right) to be poured on top.

Pictured: crumbly (but not dry) bread.

Paired with cinnamon honey butter... yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment