Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Avocado Chicken Parmesan

I sent a photo of this one to my dad to tell him it's okay for him to be jealous of my dinner. That's a pretty good sign that this was amazing, because my dad is an excellent cook so I have to do a really great job to think I can impress him.


Avocado Chicken Parmesan

Ingredients
Chicken breasts
Flour
Egg
1 Tbsp milk
Bread crumbs
Tomato sauce*
Avocado, sliced
Cheese (mine was a 4-cheese blend with Parmesan in it)

Equipment
Cookie sheet, foil, oven, a bunch of bowls

Instructions
Preheat oven to 400F. Set up your bowls: one for flour, one for an egg beaten with the milk, one for bread crumbs. Do one chicken breast at a time: lightly bread it with flour, dip in the egg, thoroughly coat with breadcrumbs, and lay on greased foil lined pan. Bake for about 4 minutes, flip them over, bake another 4 minutes. Take them out of the oven and spoon sauce over the top of each one. Lay slices of avocado on top of each, and sprinkle with cheese. Return to the oven for about 5 minutes, unless cheese is all melted.

Yields
As many chicken breasts as you make. For every two chicken breasts, use one egg and one avocado.

Total time
About 20 minutes

Cleanup rating 1/5
Don't spill sauce everywhere and you're fine. You've got foil on the pan, so you've got a few bowls to rinse out and toss in the dishwasher and that's about it.

Difficulty rating 3/10
I almost gave this a 2 but then I remembered that a lot of people have difficulty slicing avocados for some reason. I had what I'm pretty sure was the world's most perfect avocado so that kind of helps I guess. But all the other steps are really easy.

Flavor rating 8/10
YUM. Remember how I said up there at the top all that stuff about how amazing this was? Just refer back to that.

Adjustability: medium
Use seasonings in your flour and/or breadcrumbs! Switch up your sauces (see the asterisk below)! Try different cheeses!

Make it with...
Original recipe told me to serve it with a green salad. I made peas with garlic butter. Pretty much any vegetable will be friends with this chicken. It doesn't really call for much else. You could make a little spaghetti and add some of your sauce to that too.

*I "made" my own tomato sauce too. I use the sarcastiquotes because it wasn't hard, so it doesn't really feel like I "made" anything. Target had a tiny little can of tomato sauce for $0.39 so I got that instead of buying a giant jar of shmancy sauce that I'll barely use any of. Then I added basil, oregano, shallot-pepper seasoning, LOTS of garlic powder, and some Brady Street cheese sprinkle. So this part is super adaptable.

Bonus photos!

My sauce and avocados, waiting for the chicken to bake.

Adding the avocados
 
Beautifully done!

Mmmm, dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment